NCCN Guidelines® Recommend SIR-Spheres® Y-90 Resin Microspheres
SIR-Spheres® Y-90 microspheres have just been added as a new treatment option in the latest National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®) Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology for colon cancer and rectal cancer.
Nearly 140,000 Americans are diagnosed with colorectal cancer every year1, and more than 50% will have their cancer spread to their liver.2 This gives patients with cancer that has spread to the liver but cannot be removed with surgery a new treatment option.
About Selective Internal Radiation Therapy using SIR-Spheres Y-90 Resin Microspheres
SIR-Spheres Y-90 resin microspheres are a medical device used in an interventional radiology procedure known as selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT), or radioembolization, which targets high doses of radiation directly to liver tumors. The treatment consists of tens of millions of radioactive Y-90 coated resin particles, each no bigger in diameter than a human hair. SIR-Spheres Y-90 are injected into the hepatic artery which is the main blood supply to the liver via a catheter inserted into the femoral artery through an incision in the groin. The Y-90 resin microspheres become lodged in the smaller blood vessels that surround cancer in the liver, where they deliver a high dose of radiation to the cancer, while sparing healthy liver tissue.3,4,5
- American Cancer Society. Colorectal Cancer Facts & Figures 2014-2016. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2014.
- **Cho M, Gong J and Fakih M.**The state of regional therapy in the management of metastatic colorectal cancer to the liver. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 2016; 16 (2): 229–245.
- van Hazel GA, Heinemann V, Sharma NK et al. SIRFLOX: Randomized Phase III trial comparing first-line mFOLFOX6 (plus or minus bevacizumab) plus selective internal radiation therapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2016; 34: 1723–1731.
- **Kennedy AS, Ball D, Cohen SJ et al.**Multicenter evaluation of the safety and efficacy of radioembolization in patients with unresectable colorectal liver metastases selected as candidates for 90Y resin microspheres. Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. 2015; 6: 134–142.
- SIR-Spheres® microspheres (Yttrium-90 Microspheres) Product Information.
Available at: sirtex.com/us/clinicians/package-insert/.
Copyright © 2018 CancerConnect. All Rights Reserved.