Six Tips for Dealing with Anemia
The following tips will help you handle the effects of anemia:
- If you experience any symptoms of anemia (such as fatigue, tiredness, or shortness of breath), tell your healthcare team immediately.
- Eat a well balanced diet and drink plenty of fluids.
- Get adequate rest.
- Prioritize your activities so that you can participate in those that are most important and require more energy when you are feeling your best. Low-priority activities can be put off until you feel stronger.
- Let friends and family help you with errands and regular chores so that you can conserve your energy.
- To prevent dizziness, get up slowly from a sitting position; when you are lying down, sit up slowly before standing.
- Consult your doctor about the risks and benefits of treatment for anemia with erythropoietin, a blood cell growth factor that increases red blood cell production. Commercially available forms of erythropoietin include epoetin alfa (Epogen® or Procrit®) and darbepoetin alfa (Aranesp®), a newer and longer acting form of erythropoietin.