Roasted or Grilled Pineapple
1 fresh, ripe pineapple
1 Tbsp. no trans fat margarine
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. rum
1 qt. lite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel, core and slice pineapple into rounds or spears.
- Melt margarine in small bowl in microwave for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and rum, mix well.
- Place pineapple and sugar mixture in a Ziploc bag. Close and mix well.
- Just before serving, place marinated pineapple slices on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Top with a scoop of lite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Note: To grill pineapple, grill over medium-low heat until pineapple is golden brown on each side. Be sure grill is clean before adding pineapple so other flavors are not imparted to fruit.
Calories per serving: 95
Calorie equivalent: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate
Recipe courtesy of the California Health and Longevity Institute
Back to Wellness Kitchen