January Is National Cervical Cancer Awareness Month
As the month of January brings cervical cancer into focus, it’s time to increase public understanding of the disease, including its prevalence, approaches to screening and prevention, treatment options, and resources that offer updated cervical cancer information throughout the year.
Cervical cancer affects the cervix, the part of the body that connects the uterus (or womb) to the vagina (or birth canal). Each year in the United States, more than 11,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer and approximately 4,000 die of the disease. Certain types of the human papillomavirus (HPV), most commonly HPV 16 and HPV 18, are linked to cervical cancer, and several other high-risk types of HPV also contribute to cancer. Vaccines such as Gardasil® and Cervarix™ that are designed to prevent infection with high-risk types of HPV have the potential to greatly reduce the occurrence of cervical cancer.
Staying informed with the latest news on prevention and screening is an important step in reducing your risk of developing cervical cancer, while access to current, in-depth treatment information can help you choose optimal care and achieve the best possible outcome from treatment.
Learning More About Cervical Cancer
- Find informative tips on managing cervical cancer at Cervical Cancer Tips.
- Watch our video about the National Cervical Cancer Coalition.
- To find expanded information on the prevention, screening, and treatment of cervical cancer, stay updated with the lasted news on the disease, and join a community of others impacted by the disease, visit the Cervical Cancer Information Center.
- Women&Cancer magazine covers a broad range of women’s health topics including cervical cancer. This quarterly women’s health and lifestyle magazine is dedicated to topics related to the prevention and management of cancer while emphasizing wellness, fostering community, and inspiring hope. Free one-year subscriptions are available at http://womenandcancermag.com/Subscribe2.aspx.
- Sign up to receive Cancer Consultants’ free online cervical cancer newsletter, which provides disease-specific features, current news, tips, and nutrition and wellness information. Subscribe at http://www.cancerconsultants.com/about-cancerconsultants/subscription.
- Visit the Cancer Care Store on Cancerconsultants.com for book titles with topics ranging from personal cancer memoirs to expert nutritional guides about fueling your body to prevent and fight cancer.
- For even more late-breaking cervical cancer news and discussion, follow Cancer Consultants on Facebook and Twitter.
 American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2009. Available at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/STT/stt_0.asp. (Accessed January 2010).
Copyright © 2015 CancerConnect. All Rights Reserved.
More news and in-depth Cervical Cancer information.